|About Our Region|
| The municipality of Góis is situated 40 kilometres from Coimbra, nestling in the deep, narrow valley of the Ceira,
The region is divided into five parishes, or 'freguesias', each with its own parish council, or 'junta'. The region's central council, the 'Câmara Municipal', is located in the heart of Góis.
Boasting 150 villages, the majority of which can trace their history back many hundreds of years. The area is rich in archaeological evidence going back more than 6000 years.
There is strong evidence to support Góis dates back to Roman Times,which its rich mineral wealth possibly exploited in the Bronze age attracted Romans to the area.In later years Tungsten mined from the hills around, was responsible for the population increase, at its highest during World war one, when Tungsten carbide steel was in great demand.
Today Góis with its steep river valleys, and wooded hillsides providing amazing vistas from every angle, it plays host to a variety of wildlife and bird life. The hillsides are perfect for a variety of pastimes, from hill walking, mountain hiking,to horse riding. The maze of waterways provide stunning locations for canoeing, swimming, and secluded river beaches and cafe bars.
| Alvares ,was known as a place abundant with Chestnut and Oak trees,it is an ancient village, situated between hills and pine forests. Alvares was founded by King Manuel I, however on the 24th of October 1855,it was decreed by the law of the county of Alvares to be extinguished, passing the parish of Alvares to integrate with the county of Góis.
"Pedra Letreira" is a rock in Alvares that has several engraved figures, there is still a great mystery about the meaning of the figures. Some say that it is a codified map, that even now historians have been unable to decipher.
The Church, Igreja Matriz de Alvares, dedicated to S. Mateus, is located at the southern end of the Serra do Sinhel, almost at the top of the village. It is a modest building that has undergone several modifications through the centuries. The main door, bears the date of 1616 among plant drawings. In the interior the eighteenth century altarpiece, of the high altar and the altar of St. Joseph, stands out for its wood carvings, which are well preserved, and thought to be more than three hundred years old.
| Cadafaz is the only principle village to be located away from a river. It is also the highest principle village, at an altitude of just under 600m. The tiny chapel of São António dates back to 1595,
Cadafaz also differs from the other principle villages,by its narrow streets, and endless steps. Historically, the people of Cadafaz were employed in honey production and sheep and goat husbandry.On the land outside the extensively cultivated terraces, there are still visible collections of small xisto buildings that once housed sheep and goats. The village today is home to 30 families, the hillsides once grazing land for animals is now abundant with Pine and Eucalypus plantations.
In the centre of the village stands the Igreja Matriz, the mother church of the freguesia, showing a date stone above the west door with the dates of 1606, 1815 and 1855.
Today, the Village has many festas throughout the year , .and in January you will see the festa in honour of São Sebastião the Martyr, with chestnuts and wine, Easter a more traditional procession takes place, with villagers stopping at each house to take food and drink.
| The name Colmeal derives from the word “Colmeia” meaning hive..and a wealth of wax and honey that its numerous hives provide. Although the least populated of all the freguesias, its breathtaking panoramic views more than make up for this. A mountain village, scattered with beautiful xisto buildings,and the River Ceira running through the heart of it, the landscape is being transformed and the Xisto houses that were one reclaimed to the natural landscape, are now being restored.
Colmeal is a welcoming village to visitors with a strong sense of community.
|Vila Nova Do Ceira|
| The town is crossed by two important water courses, the river Ceira (tributary of the Mondego), and the river Sotão, a tributary of the river Ceira. Vila Nova do Ceira is the modern name that this parishis known by, until 1927 it was called "Várzea de Góis". In fact, the popular designation of the town is still today known as Várzea.
Many customs and traditions have been maintained till this day, bringing the entire village out to celebrate throughout the year. At the centre of the village is a large square, built around the church of S.Pedro, a cluster of shops and cafe bars surround the square.
Close to the village is one of the best swimming beaches in the area, the Praia Fluvial das Canaveias, which has plenty of open and shaded space for picnicking, and an excellent café-bar. This spot is used as an occasional venue for entertainment events in the summer months.